SWANTEC was founded in 1999 based on many years research and development at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). In the background of the researches there were strong needs from the industries to understand and solve their welding problems by using newer technol0gies. Based on the strong recommendations from the Danish industry, Dr. Wenqi Zhang and his team developed numerical modeling of resistance welding which was the base of our welding simulation software, SORPAS®.
Since 1999, SWANTEC has served for welding industries worldwide and SORPAS® has been widely applied by industry leaders around the world.
For sustainable applications of welding and joining
SWANTEC keeps always in the front line of technology with unique competence in industrial expertise and innovative approach to welding and joining solutions. We help engineers to quickly solve welding problems and effectively improve stability of welding production. We believe keeping consistency of weld quality is a key to better, safer, and sustainable products.
Quality assurance – ISO 9001:2015 certified
We are proud to be certified to the ISO 9001:2015 since 2016 for our Quality Management System. This further assures our continuous improvements on the quality of our products and services, and our constant pursuit to the satisfaction of our customers.
Implementing the quality management system that complies to the highest quality standards in the world is our commitment to ensure our customers’ satisfaction in our products and services.
SWANTEC has been active on participating in research and development projects, and collaborating with industrial partners and customers, and also hard working on pushing the innovation of welding and joining technologies in related manufacturing industries. Below are some activities recorded during the progress of SWANTEC.
On many years background in metal forming and requests of industry, the research and development in resistance projection welding was started at the Technical University of Denmark with the PhD project of Steen S. Jensen in 1988.
In 1991, Wenqi Zhang started PhD project on cold welding by forming processes, on the basis of many years pioneering research of Prof. Niels Bay at the Technical University of Denmark, and completed in 1994.
A large National Materials Research Program (MUP2) was financed by the Danish Technical Research Council during 1994-1997 with a consortium of four partners: Danfoss A/S, Grundfos A/S, FORCE Institute (the Danish Welding Institute) and the Technical University of Denmark.
This initiated a systematic research on resistance projection welding with four sub-projects including:
- Complex geometry and material combinations;
- Electrode degradation and lifetime;
- Welding machine characteristics; and
- Numerical modeling – the begin of developments on simulation of resistance welding processes.
Based on the successful results of the MUP2 project (1994-1997) and strong recommendation from the Danish industry, Dr. Wenqi Zhang led a TALENT Project on numerical modeling of resistance welding during 1997-2000. This project was financed by the Danish Technical Research Council.
During this project, the numerical models were further developed and extensively tested and verified with laboratory experiments and industrial applications, which were built into a new software system named SORPAS®.
- On the 1st of June 1999, SWANTEC Software and Engineering ApS was established as a spin-out private company for further development and commercialization of simulation software, SORPAS, for welding and joining processes.
- SORPAS® registered as trademark of SWANTEC.
- First license of SORPAS® sold to Danfoss A/S in Denmark.
- The 1st International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and JOM Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 1st time at the EURO-BLECH fair in Hannover, Germany.
- First license of SORPAS® sold to VW and Daimler in Germany followed by companies in France and other EU countries.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 1st time at the Essen Welding Show in Essen, Germany.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 2nd time at the EURO-BLECH fair in Hannover, Germany.
- The 2nd International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and ISF-RWTH in Aachen, Germany.
- ARO S.A. appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in France.
- First licenses of SORPAS® sold to Ford and Honda America in the US.
- Huys Industries Ltd. appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in North America.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 3rd time at the EURO-BLECH fair in Hannover, Germany.
- The 3rd International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and BAM in Berlin, Germany.
- First license of SORPAS® exported to Japan with Sumitomo Metal Industries.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 2nd time at the Essen Welding Show in Essen, Germany.
- SCSK Corporation appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in Japan.
- I S Korea Ltd. appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in Korea.
- National project INNOJOINT on numerical modeling of resistance and friction stir welding financed by the Danish Technical Research Council for 4 years (2006-2010) with five departments from DTU and SWANTEC as the only industrial partner.
- The 4th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding in Wels, Austria.
[Organized by SWANTEC and Fronius]
- EU research project XPRESS financed by the European Commission for 4 years (2007-2011) involving 17 partners from 9 European countries aiming at developing flexible production experts for reconfigurable assembly technology in 3 representative industrial sectors (automotive, aeronautics and electrical). SWANTEC is participating as industrial partner responsible for welding simulations.
- The 5th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding in Toronto, Canada.
[Organizer: SWANTEC and Huys]
- Shanghai Infomass Information Technology Co., Ltd. (上海信聚信息技术有限公司) appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in China.
- The 6th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting on 22-24 September 2010 in Hamburg, Germany.
[Organizer: SWANTEC and Harms&Wende]
- EU Project “SmartDress” (2011-2013) financed by the European Commission with 7 partners from 5 countries for developing a fully automated adaptive control system to optimize, monitor, maintain electrode tip quality, and minimize line stoppages.
- New software system SORPAS 3D launched.
- The 7th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting on 12-14 September 2012 in Busan, Korea.
[Organizer: SWANTEC and ISKorea]
- EU Project “EMFWELD” (2012-2014) financed by the European Commission with 7 partners from 5 countries on overall goals to reduce the cost of EMF exposure assessment in fabrication and NDT processes, specifically in welding and MPI.
- SWANTEC honored as a “Gazelle Company 2013” in Denmark for a high growth in the past four years. Many thanks to our customers and partners worldwide for continuous support and cooperation over all years.
- The 8th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting on 10-12 September 2014 in Baveno, Italy.
[Organizer: SWANTEC and SINTERLEGHE]
- SORPAS® version 12 released with a powerful new function for Excel batch weld planning. It is used directly at assembly production plants.
- RAVIDA Software Metal Inc., Turkey, appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in Turkey and Iran.
- The 9th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting was organized by SWANTEC, AWS and RWMA on 13-15 April 2016 in Miami, USA.
- SWANTEC achieved the ISO9001:2015 Certificate for Quality Management.
- Launch of SORPAS® 2D.joining
- 10th International Conference on Advances in resistance welding and mechanical joining 12-14th September, 2018, Esslingen, Stuttgart, Germany. Organized by Hochschule Esslingen and Swantec Software and Engineering ApS.
- Swantec developed interface to export simulation results of SORPAS®2D to DynaWeld
- Launch of SORPAS® 2D3D.link
- SORPAS 2D v14.0 released with system upgrade to 64 bit and improvement in weld optimizing.
- SORPAS 3D v6.0 released with new solver and improvement in calculations.