SWANTEC (Scientific Welding And Numerical TEChnology) was founded on 1 June 1999 as a spin-out private limited company based on many years research and development at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) in metal forming, solid state bonding and resistance welding.
The core business of SWANTEC is in the scope for development and sales of welding software and services to welding industries worldwide.
SWANTEC keeps always in the front line of technology with unique competence in industrial expertise and innovative approach to welding and joining solutions.
The company is located at DTU Science Park in Kongens Lyngby, about 10 km north of Copenhagen.
To advance technology and promote innovation for sustainable applications of welding and joining in industry.
Quality assurance - ISO 9001:2015 certified
We are very proud to be certified to the ISO 9001:2015 for our Quality Management System. This further assures our continuous improvements on the quality of our products and services, and our constant pursuit to the satisfaction of our customers.
Implementing the quality management system that complies to the highest quality standards in the world is our commitment to ensure our customers’ satisfaction in our products and services.
John Heebøll – Managing Director of Danish Product Development Ltd., Snekkersten, Denmark
Niels Bay – Professor at Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark
Wenqi Zhang – Founder of SWANTEC Software and Engineering ApS, Lyngby, Denmark.
SWANTEC has been active on participating in research and development projects, and collaborating with industrial partners and customers, and also hard working on pushing the innovation of welding and joining technologies in related manufacturing industries. Below are some activities recorded during the progress of SWANTEC.
With many years background in metal forming and upon requests of industry, the research and development in resistance projection welding started at the Technical University of Denmark with the first PhD project in 1988 with Steen S. Jensen.
In 1991, Wenqi Zhang started PhD project on cold welding by forming processes on the basis of many years pioneering research of Prof. Niels Bay at the Technical University of Denmark.
A large National Materials Research Program (MUP2) was financed by the Danish Technical Research Council during 1994-1997 with a consortium of four partners: Danfoss A/S, Grundfos A/S, FORCE Institute (the Danish Welding Institute) and the Technical University of Denmark.
This had initiated a systematic research on resistance projection welding with four sub-projects including:
- Complex geometry and material combinations;
- Electrode degradation and lifetime;
- Welding machine characteristics; and
- Numerical modeling – the begin of developments on simulation of resistance welding processes.
Based on the successful results of the MUP2 project (1994-1997) and strong recommendation from the Danish industry, a TALENT Project led by Dr. Wenqi Zhang was financed by the Danish Technical Research Council on numerical modeling of resistance welding during 1997-2000.
During this project, the numerical models were further developed and extensively tested and verified with laboratory experiments and industrial applications, which were built into a new software system named SORPAS®.
In 1999, spin-off private company SWANTEC Software and Engineering ApS was established for development and commercialization of simulation software for welding and joining processes.
SORPAS® registered as trademark of SWANTEC.
¤ First license of SORPAS® sold to Danfoss A/S in Denmark.
¤ The 1st International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and JOM Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark.
¤ SORPAS® exhibited for the 1st time at the EURO-BLECH fair in Hannover, Germany.
¤ First license of SORPAS® sold to VW and Daimler in Germany followed by companies in France and other EU countries.
¤ SORPAS® exhibited for the 1st time at the Essen Welding Exhibition in Essen, Germany.
¤ SORPAS® exhibited for the 2nd time at the EURO-BLECH fair in Hannover, Germany.
¤ The 2nd International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and ISF-RWTH in Aachen, Germany.
- ARO S.A. appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in France.
- First license of SORPAS® exported to North America with Ford and Honda America.
- Huys Industries Ltd. appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in North America.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 3rd time at the EUROBLECH fair in Hannover, Germany.
- The 3rd International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and BAM in Berlin, Germany.
- First license of SORPAS® exported to Japan with Sumitomo Metal Industries.
- SORPAS® exhibited for the 2nd time at the Essen Welding Show in Essen, Germany.
- SCSK Corporation appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in Japan.
- I S Korea Ltd. appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in Korea.
- National project INNOJOINT on numerical modeling of resistance and friction stir welding financed by the Danish Technical Research Council for 4 years (2006-2010) with five departments from DTU and SWANTEC as the only industrial partner.
- The 4th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and Fronius in Wels, Austria.
- EU research project XPRESS financed by the European Commission for 4 years (2007-2011) involving 17 partners from 9 European countries aiming at developing flexible production experts for reconfigurable assembly technology in 3 representative industrial sectors (automotive, aeronautics and electrical). SWANTEC is participating as industrial partner responsible for welding simulations.
- The 5th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding organized by SWANTEC and Huys in Toronto, Canada.
- Shanghai Infomass Information Technology Co., Ltd. (上海信聚信息技术有限公司) appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in China.
- The 6th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting was organized by SWANTEC and Harms&Wende on 22-24 September 2010 in Hamburg, Germany.
- EU Project “SmartDress” (2011-2013) financed by the European Commission with 7 partners from 5 countries for developing a fully automated adaptive control system to optimize, monitor, maintain electrode tip quality, and minimize line stoppages.
- New software system SORPAS 3D launched.
- The 7th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting was organized by SWANTEC and ISKorea on 12-14 September 2012 in Busan, Korea.
- EU Project “EMFWELD” (2012-2014) financed by the European Commission with 7 partners from 5 countries on overall goals to reduce the cost of EMF exposure assessment in fabrication and NDT processes, specifically in welding and MPI.
- SWANTEC honored as a “Gazelle Company 2013” in Denmark for a high growth in the past four years. Many thanks to our customers and partners worldwide for continuous support and cooperation over all years.
- The 8th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting was organized by SWANTEC and SINTERLEGHE on 10-12 September 2014 in Baveno, Italy.
- SORPAS® version 12 released with a powerful new function for Excel batch weld planning. It is used directly at assembly production plants.
- RAVIDA Software Metal Inc., Turkey, appointed as distributor of SORPAS® in Turkey, Russia and Iran.
- The 9th International Seminar on Advances in Resistance Welding and Global SORPAS® User Meeting was organized by SWANTEC, AWS and RWMA on 13-15 April 2016 in Miami, USA.
- SWANTEC achieved the ISO9001:2015 Certificate for Quality Management.
- Launch of SORPAS® 2D.joining
- 10th International Conference on Advances in resistance welding and mechanical joining 12-14th September, 2018, Esslingen, Stuttgart, Germany. Organized by Hochschule Esslingen and Swantec Software and Engineering ApS.
- Swantec makes an agreement with Arconic to extend the material database of aluminium alloys in SORPAS®.
- Swantec develop an interfase between SORPAS® and DynaWeld